Keynote Slides Index

Overall Plan. This presentation has two parts: I'll start by introducing myself and sharing with you the spaces where you can find me online (slides 1-5). Then, I'll share with you some general ideas and strategies that have worked well for me as an online instructor. Some of the advice is specifically about teaching online, and some of it is about teaching in general, or even about life in general. As I'm a folklorist by training, you'll see many traditional proverbs on these pages: online learning is something new, but popular wisdom still applies!

Slide Pages. Each slide page has a few chosen words and a graphic of some kind, just as you would expect, but there is also additional information below the slide if you scroll on down. Since I don't know just how much or little overlap there might be between your online courses and my own, I've tried to take a general approach in the top slide, but with lots of links to specific course materials and online resources down below. You'll also find more information about the graphics at the bottom of each page.

Ask Questions, Please! You can ask questions via the Adobe chat if there are items you'd like me to go over in more detail, or you can use Twitter: #UOConference. In addition, you can contact me after the talk with any questions you have (Twitter, G+, or email: laurakgibbs@gmail.com).

About the Blog. I've also explained here how and why I hacked a blog to be like a slideshow (it's an experiment I've always wanted to try). After the presentation is over, I'll move the widgets at the bottom of the pages to go in a sidebar, and the blog will look much more like a blog!

Here is a list of "slide" posts in the presentation:
  1. Laura Gibbs, Online Instructor
  2. Twitter: OnlineCrsLady
  3. Twitter: OnlineMythIndia
  4. Google+
  5. Pinterest
  6. Design an Online Identity
  7. There Are No "Bad Hair Days" Online
  8. Reflect Often
  9. Keep On Learning
  10. Post Something Every Day
  11. Give and Take
  12. People Need People
  13. Make Friends
  14. Collaborate
  15. Help Conversations to Happen
  16. Tear Down the Wall
  17. Share Freely
  18. Expand Your Reach Online
  19. Creative Imitation
  20. Reuse and Recycle
  21. Get Visual
  22. The Power of Search
  23. Don't OD on Information
  24. Beware Multitasking
  25. Choose Tools for the Task
  26. Use a Variety of Tools and Spaces
  27. Avoid Single Points of Failure
  28. Learn More With Less
  29. Small is Beautiful
  30. Revise... Revise... Revise
  31. Don't Be Afraid to Make Mistakes
  32. Baby Steps
  33. Small Things Grow
  34. It's Never Too Late to Start
  35. Get Your Feet Wet
  36. Weigh Risks Realistically
  37. Don't Give Up!
  38. Different is Good
  39. Be Skeptical about "Best Practices"
  40. Have Fun
  41. Avoid Boredom
  42. Do What You Love
  43. Put Your Students in the Driver's Seat
  44. Use Open-Ended Challenges
  45. Come On In!

No comments: