Choose Tools for the Task

So, you need to keep your focus, but you also need to familiarize yourself with lots of online tools so that you can choose the best tool for each task. [next]




Additional comments:

If you've been reading the notes on these slides so far, you already have a sense of the tools that I use for my work: Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest, Google Docs, Inoreader, etc. There are also new kinds of web-based tools coming online all the time, and I'm always on the look-out for new tools that might be useful to me or to my students.

In terms of the core tools that my students use, they choose a blogging tool (most choose Blogger, since that is the one for which I can provide the best support) and they might also choose an additional publishing tool (most choose Google Sites, again because of the support I can provide). There are also lots of other online utilities that I recommend to them, and I encourage them to explore and try new tools with these extra credit Tech Tips.

One of the new things I am excited to do for next year is to build a series of Maker Challenges which would involve tools that are more elaborate than the simple utilities in the Tech Tips. For example, I'd like for students to see if they want to learn how to do screencasting with Google Hangouts or maybe some audio recording with Soundcloud. Going to the DML2015 Conference this year really inspired me to try to do more "maker" work with my students who are interested in that kind of thing. Although the classes I teach are writing class, the maker spirit has a lot in common with the writing spirit!

I'll be participating in the CLMOOC this summer too, and I expect I will learn about some really nice tools as part of that experience. You can find out more about that here: #CLMOOC Making Learning Connected.


The image above is another one from the Proverb Laboratory: A handsaw is a good thing, but not to shave with. It's a variation on the by now very familiar, "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

No comments: