Collaborate

Two heads really are better than one! Share ideas and brainstorm with your colleagues online — and with your students too! [next]




Additional comments:

I get so many good ideas from the other educators that I interact with at Google+ and Twitter and in the blogosphere. In order to keep track of all that good stuff, I use two different bookmarking tools: if I am reading something directly in my browser, I use Diigo to bookmark something for future reference, and if I am reading something inside my feed reader, Inoreader, then I use Inoreader's tags to keep track of things. I really like the way that individual tweets and individual G+ posts are directly linkable for future reference! Having conversations with people in person is great, but I know I used to forget so many of the good ideas that would bubble up in conversation. Online, I can do a better job of actually saving ideas and resources that I want to use later!

Because I teach writing classes, the opportunity for my students to collaborate with one another by reading each other's writing is incredibly valuable. Students learn so much from each other, and they can also really help each other by providing feedback. Depending on their major, students may or may not have learned some good feedback skills in their other classes; for many students, this might be the first time they have ever been asked to provide substantial feedback to other students in written form. In order to help them get ready for that task, I provide some tips and practice opportunities in the early weeks of this semester, as in this assignment: Week 2: Learning How to Comment.


The image above is another one of the GrammarCatz: Two heads are better than one.

No comments: